Saturday, October 22, 2011

When I was 18 I bought a used Bolex 16mm ...

Alfred Ingram shared a post with you on Google+. Google+ makes sharing on the web more like sharing in real life. Learn more.
Join Google+
When I was 18 I bought a used Bolex 16mm camera (no sound) from Calumet Camera in Chicago, got permission to audit a documentary film course at Northwestern University and waited for the Democratic Convention to arrive. My uncle Owen was a delegate from the Mississippi Freedom Democratic party and there was going to be a floor fight over which delegates from Mississippi got seated.

I never imagined that professional film motion picture cameras would go out of production. Of course, I never imagined the police rioting either, or the national guard preventing people from the South and West sides getting anywhere near the convention.

I resented the hell out of that at the time, but they probably deserve all the credit for the fact that I got through that week with an unfractured skull.
After 123 Years, Motion Picture Film Cameras Go Out of Production
Film is beautiful. It's going to be around for years to come. Plenty of feature films and TV shows are still being shot on film, and used film cameras will remain a viable rental market for a long tim...
View or comment on Alfred Ingram's post »


No comments:

Post a Comment

con·cept: When I was 18 I bought a used Bolex 16mm ...