Sunday, November 23, 2003

The Reading File: Dear Mr. President: Are You Getting Out Enough?:
"BEFORE President Bush's visit to Britain last week, the liberal newspaper The Guardian asked 60 people to write him an open letter. Excerpts follow (the letters can be read in their entirety at guardian.co.uk)."

Dear Mr. Bush,

Two years ago, shortly after the 9/11 atrocity I was arrested in the early hours of the morning at the home I shared with my wife in Colnbrook. . . .

The front page headlines around the world reported the U.S. and their representatives as saying that I was the "lead instructor" of four of the pilots responsible for the hijackings and that I would in time be charged for "conspiracy to murder." . . .

I spent five months of hell in Belmarsh prison where threats were made on my life. My dream of a career as a pilot is over. . . . My wife and I are unemployed. Many people will now always think of me as a terrorist. . . . The "war on terror" has moved on but my life and family are still in pieces.

Lotfi Raissi, the pilot falsely accused of aiding the Sept. 11 terrorists


http://www.guardian.co.uk/antiwar/story/0,12809,1087630,00.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/23/weekinreview/23READ.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

con·cept